three and a quarter inch floppy?

Gordon JC Pearce gordon at gjcp.net
Tue Mar 8 15:19:35 CST 2005

Jules Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 19:41 +0000, Adrian Graham wrote:
>
>>>31/4 drives were used on the old Amstrad word processing
>>>machines (forget the number - do any of the other UK members know?
>>
>>They were (I think Hitachi) 3" drives that were going to be 'the next big
>>thing'.
>

> Yep, I remember them being 3" too. I hate to think how many drive belts
> I've replaced on them when I worked for a repair place many years ago.

Hahaha... The belts themselves were expensive (nearly a fiver, in 1991
money!) but I found that there were a couple of belts in the Ferguson
Videostar 3V22/3V23 kit (£2.39 from CPC, less in quantity) that were
"good enough".  Plus, you could always adjust it with the idler wheel to
get a bit more out.

Used to regularly do these for oil companies in Aberdeen.  They survived
the harsh electrical environment of oilrigs extremely well.

Gordon.