NNTP instead of mail

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 16:09:15 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 20:48 +0000, Pete Turnbull wrote:
> On Mar 8 2005, 17:59, Chris Blackburn wrote:
>
> > All the email/news clients I have used support it, these include
> >
> > 1) Microsoft Lookout (express)
> > 2) Mozilla Mail
> > 3) Mozilla Thunderbird
>
> Most traditional ones, like tin, do so as well.

I should have worded that one better. What I meant was that email's
nice, because all my mailing lists and other mail comes to the same
place without me doing anything, *then* I filter it as necessary.

Having multiple NNTP server accounts seems a little like the multiple
web forum point made earlier; multiple logins and information in
different places - I still need to change servers n times to read all
the newsgroups I'm subscribed to. OK, it's not as much hassle as the web
scenario, but it's more trouble than email I believe.

> > > 3) Some people don't have NNTP access.
> >
> > I truly hadn't thought of this one. If it is a problem then we can
> tell
> > INN to run on a nonstandard (and usually available) port and tell
> > people to set up their news clients appropriately.
>
> Except that firewalls with a "default drop" policy, ie block everything
> except that which is "known" to be "safe", are becoming more common --
> so using a non-standard port would make matters worse, I suspect.
>  OTOH, you could use port 80 if the NNTP server wasn't also a web
> server.

Lots of corporate entities will have transparent web proxies
intercepting port 80 though. I'm not sure how clever they are - do they
intercept *all* port 80 traffic then either process it or fail, or do
they pass through non-HTTP traffic on port 80 as though it was never
touched by the proxy at all? I imagine both types exist, at least.

cheers

J.