[OT] Troubleshooting ATA Drives..

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Mar 9 23:28:51 CST 2005

Ethan Dicks declared on Thursday 10 March 2005 12:12 am:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:32:29 -0500 (EST), der Mouse
>
> <mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca> wrote:
> > For that matter, I'm in a similar situation: I have a Maxtor which
> > reports itself as having 0 heads, 0 sectors/track, and 0 cylinders;
> > if I had an identical drive, I'd try swapping boards, but I don't.
>
> Board swapping is unlikely to help.  Unlike classic drives, modern
> drives put their internal 'firmware' (more like DECmate 'slushware')
> on factory tracks.  Maxtors are prone to amnesia when they can't read
> those factory tracks, or the data on them has been corrupted.  The
> drive geometry, etc., is _not_ stored in the board.
>
> I have an 80 GB drive sitting on a bench in Palmerston North, NZ,
> because of this problem...

If it's just because he nuked the board with an overvoltage from the P/S,
there's actually a good chance that it'll fix things.  I've done it
before.  I'm sure it won't fix all problems, but electronics missing the
'magic smoke' it may help with.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        --- http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/