Floppy drive pin 2 question?

Steven Canning cannings at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 10 19:18:47 CST 2005

Jules,

I proposed doing exactly that (i.e. passing "raw" floppy data through a
parallel port) last year along with some simple math that showed it could be
done. The concept was "poo-poo'd" by some, but in the real world it has been
done already to image the following; Amiga (".ADF"), Apple disk ][ (".DO"),
Atari ST (".ST"). Commodore 1541 (".D64"), PC (".IMG") and
single-density (".DSK"). The URL for the write-up and software is;
http://disk2fdi.joguin.com/D2FCABLE.htm

Very cool! Best regards, Steven C.

> On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 16:29 -0600, Randy McLaughlin wrote:
> > I have a webpage describing disks and disk drives.
>
> Yep - most useful it is too! :-)
>
> > Pin 2 on a 34 pin floppy connector is a little used pin.  It was used to
> > change the RPM on some 5.25" 1.2mb drives.
> >
> > It changed the RPM from 360 RPM (pin 2 high) to 300 RPM (pin 2 low).
This