Troubleshooting ATA Drives..

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Thu Mar 10 21:00:36 CST 2005

Bob wrote:
> ZIP drives, and Compaq ATA drives will actually modify the data in some
> sectors, there is indeed firmware control over the data written to disk.

I've used "IDE" (ATAPI) ZIP drives extensively on PDP-11 systems and on
PCs running Linux, and I've never encountered a case where the drive wrote
anything to disk other than exactly what it was told to write.

Possibly the Iomega Windows drivers might interfere, but I never use
those, since they won't run on either Linux or the PDP-11.

Eric