Opinions? BeOS

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 06:09:17 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 21:26 -0500, Joe R. wrote:
>    I picked up a Cd and manuals for BeOS today. Anybody here use it? What
> do you think of it?

It's pretty slick for the time, although I suppose all the nicer
features have been copied now within modern OSes. The integration
between desktop and command-line shell is nicely done.

I picked up a dual 133MHz Bebox a while back which I took over to
Bletchley, but I just haven't had time to play around with it much
since.

Far as I'm aware, there are quite a few free apps and utils out there
for the OS. I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm at the museum and see
which version of the OS it is that ours runs. I know the standard web
browser on our one barfs at just about anything and badly needs an
upgrade (although I think you can put Firefox on there)

Overall, nice classic OS (running on nice classic hardware in this case
- even if it doesn't quite fall within the ten year rule :)

cheers

Jules