kdj11-sd eproms

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor at starpower.net
Sat Mar 12 11:25:37 CST 2005

At 11:29 PM 3/5/2005, you wrote:
>I recently attempted to modify a decserver board
>to use the 11/53 roms.  I installed the pullup and
>burned the images into a pair of am27128A-2dc eproms,
>but when I powered up the board it couldn't pass test
>#1 with the "KDJ11-D/S 1.00" message.

I have successfully modified a DecServer board with the pullup resistor,
but your experience sounds familiar to me.  It has been a while since I did
this conversion but I seem to remember that there was a ROM contents
checksum in the PDP11 boot and you had to burn the new rom completely to
make sure all the locations were correct.

>I reverified the contents of the eproms and thought
>that I must've damaged the board when installing the
>pullup.  Just to be sure though, I remapped the 11/53
>images with "cat 261E5.bin 261E5.bin > 1.bin",
>"cat 262E5.bin 262E5.bin > 2.bin", then erased the
>original 27256's and burned the new images into them.

I think I tried this, burning two copies of the 128 ROM into the 256 ROM,
and it didn't work without the pullup resistor.  I could be wrong since I
am old (probably equal to the average age of people on this list) and MY
memory may be failing!