Create a VAX CPU with FPGA?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Mar 12 14:28:30 CST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:21:32AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> Curt @ Atari Museum declared on Thursday 03 March 2005 11:47 pm:
> > I personally would rather see some more hobbyist work on PCI Qbus
> > and/or Unibus cards, the current commercial ones run $2500-$3000 and
> > it would be GREAT to run SimH and have access to all the drives, tape
> > systems and so forth directly with something more like $250-$500 vs
> > the $2500-$3000 cards.
>
> I've considered this before, and the PCI part seems to be a sizable
> stubling block.

Why would PCI be a stumbling block?

Check out http://www.fpga4fun.com/PCI.html  They make PCI look easy.  I
just wish I could find the time to play with it to justify ordering
their proto-card.

I suspect that someone who can talk about actually making their own FPGA
CPU is probably someone who would be able to make PCI cards.

And PCI drivers aren't all that difficult to write either (and this time
I am talking from limited personal experience).  I get the impression
that they may actually be simpler than writing drivers for ISA card
(though I haven't actually tried writing those yet).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/