Opinions? BeOS

Doc Shipley doc at mdrconsult.com
Sun Mar 13 01:07:28 CST 2005

Martin Scott Goldberg wrote:

>>>What was your reasoning?
>>
>>  Mostly compatibility.  I do Unix training and network stuff for a living.
>

> Compatibility as far as network stuff?  Most of the POSIX compliant Unix
> software should be able to be ported over, which is why I'm curious what
> specifically you needed.

   Mostly I needed test-bed capability for the Linux stuff we do,
reliable presentation of remote X11 apps, and performance.  On the
hardware I had, BeOS seemed notably slower than Debian.

>>  Also, BeOS software was still mostly commercial, and I was poor.
>>

> Yah, I Guess you had to wait for the OS to fail and fall in the hands
> of hobbyests before the non-commercial stuff came.  Heh.

   Yeah.  Now, of course, I have a bunch of commercial multimedia apps
that came with my BeBox, plus the open-source stuff.  At the time, circa
v4.0, I think, it wasn't nearly that easy.

	Doc