PerSci 277 floppy drives

Vintage Computer Festival vcf at siconic.com
Tue Mar 15 10:46:10 CST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Doc Shipley wrote:

> Randy McLaughlin wrote:
>
> > From: "Doc Shipley" <doc at mdrconsult.com>
> >>
> >>   Looks like a standard 50-pin edge connector, yes.  After reading a
> >> little in the owner's manual, it's MFM, dual density, so worst case I
> >> should be able to run it on an older PC-based FDC, right?
> >

> > The 277 is a fast repeat fast single sided floppy drive.
> >
> > The high-speed seek can be ignored but what can not be ignored is the
> > track location.  Being a dual drive both heads move at the same time,
> > this can confuse some software.
> >
> > Details on making a 34 to 50 pin cable can be found on my website.
>
>    I've looked at that, but I don't have access to crimpers.  Would the
> line noise from a soldered strip-&-splice be excessive?

The IDC connectors are forgiving with even crap tools.  Just use a vise,
some vice grips, or if you are lazy like me and don't want to fetch the proper
tools, a blunt object with which you can hammer on the cap works.  I start
from each end until they are punched down, then finish the job by working
from the middle outwards until the top of the connector is attached nice
and firmly.