TU56/TC11 restoration - Power supply question

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 18:40:49 CST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 23:45 +0000, Pete Turnbull wrote:

> The second was a non-polarised electrolytic in an Atari monitor.  The
> original had failed, so I looked through the catalogues for a similar
> type.  The only one I found of the same capacitance and voltage claimed
> to have a suitably large ripple current capacity, but was quite a lot
> smaller than the original.  I was a bit skeptical, but hey, technology
> moves on and capacitors get smaller every year, right?

That's bothering me for this Sun 2 where I've replaced the ageing PSU
caps after one failed last week. The replacements (which I scrounged
from the Colossus guys) are a heck of a lot smaller. But then it's a
difference in technology of around 20 years...

They've held together OK on a light load test, but it'll be interesting
to see if they continue to do so under normal operating load. Unlike the
large caps that they've replaced, the smaller newer ones appear to have
no safety valve in the base, so it'll be an impressive noise if they do
go. Luckily the PSU has a lot of metal around it...

cheers

Jules