TU56/TC11 restoration - VARIAC question

Ashley Carder wacarder at usit.net
Thu Mar 17 14:15:51 CST 2005

Your explanations of the two methods all seems to make sense to me.
But then again, I'm too new at this to know if it's good or bad!

> The variac method is a little easier because you don't have to dig all
> the caps out of the machine, and you can skimp on the math; but it's less
> precise, harder to monitor and has the capacity to destroy more equipment
> much faster. I've done it once, and it worked, but as I've learned more I
> don't think I want to try using that method again.  :)

I've always just plugged the stuff in and it hasn't exploded (yet!).

> > Excuse me if I'm asking dumb questions, it's because I'm learning as I go.
>
> Yeah, well, as my numerous disclaimers above may indicate, _I'm_ sure as
> hell no expert.  :) :) :)

But I'm a dummy, just tryng to graduate to something else beyond dummy.
I have a long ways to go to become an expert.  There probably aren't
enough years left in my lifespan to allow me to become an expert, but I
may be able to get beyond dummy some time during my lifetime.

Ashley