itsy bitsy Unix

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Fri Mar 18 01:18:24 CST 2005

Well moving back on-topic a little....

I would have thought that there were a number of timesharing operating
systems written for the PDP-11 above and beyond those written by DEC.
The reason being that -11s were relatively cheap and the architecture
isn't too bad compared with some other architectures popular at the
same time (ooh, I can feel the flames coming from miles away :-). Now I
wouldn't want to write an operating system in assembler, but if you had
to, an -11 (or even better a VAX) wouldn't be the worst choice.

I can think of two "well known" operating systems written for the -11.
These are xinu (http://www.cs.purdue.edu/research/xinu.html) and solo
(http://web.syr.edu/~pbhansen/html/biography.html). xinu is written in
c and solo in Concurrent Pascal.

I remember reading Per Brinch Hansen's "The Architecture of Concurrent
Programs", which includes the complete program text of the Solo
operating system and suddenly all the concepts of operating system
design I had were crystalized into knowledge. Another book on my list
of "need to finds"....

Another (even more interesting) operating system is Hydra written for
the CMU* "Beowulf" of PDP-11s. See
http://research.microsoft.com/users/GBell/CGB%20Files/
Cmmp%20CMU%20Multiminiprocessor%20Computer%207108%20c.pdf

Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"