itsy bitsy Unix

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Fri Mar 18 15:39:46 CST 2005

Huw Davies wrote:

>> Come to think of it, cooperative multitasking is trivial, you can code
>> your own.  It looks like this:
>>
>>      for {;;} { task1(); task2(); task3; /* etc */ }
>>
>> and each task simply does stuff for a while, then returns when it has
>> nothing left to do or when it's time to give another task a shot at
>> the CPU.  That sort of system is very simple and very reliable.
>
> Anyone who's used a Macintosh before OS-X might want to disagree here.

Or any DOS-based version of Windows (ie Windows 1.0/286/386/3.x/95/98/ME).
These were all "round-robin" if I am not misremembering...  (I certainly
remember one application crashing and not passing control to the rest of the
services well enough :-)
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org)                    http://www.oldskool.org/
Want to help an ambitious games project?             http://www.mobygames.com/