RRD40 troubleshooting

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 20 08:50:54 CST 2005

>Awhile back I was looking for a caddy for my RRD40, but the ones I
>found and received (thanks Joe) weren't for the RRD40 but for RRD42.
>RRD40 takes a weird plastic-only caddy that looks like a pair of
>pincers, precariously pinching a CD at the edges...(anybody who'd like
>a pic can email me offlist).

Well the caddy is supposed to be a beige plastic "antlers" AND a
transparent plastic  "case". If you only have one part, maybe that's
your problem.

IIRC to insert the disc (which is held by the "antlers" inside
the "case" you push the "case" into the drive "antlers" first.
Then you withdraw the "case" and the "antlers" + CD stay inside.

The "antlers" have DATA written on one side - the CD data (non-label)
side has to be on this side. The case is inserted with the CD label
side uppermost.

As the Haynes manual would say, "Extraction is the reverse of the
above"

There are two LEDs on the front. The lower one indicates power present,
the other indicates a CD inserted.

>Anyway, my RRD40 I discovered unfortunately was nonfunctional *sigh*
:-{

I suspect it WAS perfectly functional. Whether it is functional
now is another matter :-)

>The caddy with VMS7.1 was jammed inside and I had to strip the drive
>down to the internal unit to extricate the caddy and CD. There doesn't
>seem to be an EJECT button for the RRD40????

No eject button needed!

>I could only conclude that the load/eject mechanism is kaput....
>Any clues anybody? Or time to look for another RRD40....

>From your description, you are obviously missing a case.

> p.s. I had hopes for the RRD40 to be a boot device for my u/VAXen...

If you have nothing faster (TU56, paper-tape etc. :-)) then it will
happily work as a boot device for MicroVAX 3100 systems. It would
probably work for MicroVAX I/II systems as well, if you have an
appropriate interface card (either Qbus SCSI or a KRQ50).

Antonio

--

Antonio Carlini arcarlini at iee.org