Flash longevity

Vassilis Prevelakis vp at cs.drexel.edu
Mon Mar 21 10:16:48 CST 2005

"Jay West" <jwest at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Ugggg... sorry. It wasn't a swap partition I created in flash. It was an OS
> install partition (to install the OS FROM, not to). [...]
This is very weird, although some automated installations perform
a defect scan on the "target drive" and this will destroy the Flash.

I tend to install the OS on a RAM disk and then dd the image to the
Flash.

If your system has vnconfig(8) you can create the RAM disk very easily,
although you can get the same effect using VMWAre.

**vp