Rare Apples, eBay, Goodwill

tom ponsford tponsford at theriver.com
Tue Mar 22 14:45:11 CST 2005

> Keys wrote:
>
>> It must be the area you live in, I have gotten Sun's, Next's, Vax,
>> HP's, AS400's and missed on some SOL's plus a few other S100 systems
>> at my local Goodwill.  John

Not only where you live, as many corporations get rid off thier old
equipment to  liquidaters or, if they don't take them, then to the
goodwill,. etc.. So if you live in a fairly large city you'll not only
see  donations from individuals, but also companies and corporations.

If you are going "goodwill hunting", then I suggest try going directly
to the main warehouse/sorting facility for your area. Many cities with
lots of goodwill stores have a central warehouse. At the warehouse is
where larger donations (in some case , all donations) are sorted. Here
in Tucson the warehouse is in an industrial area, and large lots are
commonly sold through auctions or bulk buying.

Where you might see one to a dozen computers or electronic goods at one
store, here there will be hundreds and even thousands of computers along
with the peripherals. I've picked up a microvaxII, various suns, even
ultra's as well as P3's.

While the old unix and apple equipment will go real cheap, there is
lively bidding for anything above a pentium2 or G3. A corporation dumped
about 100 P3's on the goodwill warehouse a few months ago and were gone
inside an hour. mainly to one bidder

Check for the Salvation Army or Goodwill warehouse nearest you and see
if and when they have there auctions and or bulk buying.

The good stuff never even reaches the local goodwill stores.

Cheers

Tom