Which PDP?

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Tue Mar 22 19:32:35 CST 2005

> I'd like to include a PDP in my collection, but not sure what
> to go for? My requirements would be
>
> 1) It has to be a 70's design
> 2) It needs to be reasonably compact
> 3) I'd like to run something 'unix like'
>    with a c compiler as an option.
> 4) My budget is not huge <$1000
>
> Any recommendations?

I'd vote for the 11/23, mostly because it was the last of the 70's
(1979), they were produced in large numbers and are compact. Most were
built with the (then) brand-new RL02 drives. The design continued for
many years and lots of DEC and non-DEC boards are available for neat
things like MFM drives large ammounts of memory.

I have one I got for free, exactly as pictured here with VT101 and LA36
DecWriter-II printing terminal...
http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell/Digital/timeline/1979-2.htm

The link says Microsoft, but it's Gordon Bells page.