Totally OT, but frustrated.....

Sat Mar 26 03:23:38 CST 2005

> There is an eleven-billion-dollar industry that uses assembly in
> every single one of its products, but mentioning it on this list is
> most likely a cardinal sin so I won't mention it (no, it's not porn).

No, porn is probably *well* over $11G.  (Assuming you mean per year.)

I recently played all the way through Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando,
and the making-of video that you can watch when you've beat the game
has, among other things, someone saying that their game engine contains
some large number of lines of assembler.  I don't remember the number,
but it was large - 100K, 1M, 10M, something like that.  I'm not sure
whether to be impressed that they wrote something that big in assembly
and made it that solid (I've found *one* bug in the game, and it's a
level design bug, not a code bug), or horrified that they wrote the
whole thing, rather than just the hotspots, in assembly.  Perhaps both.

Of course, I doubt that your 11-gigabuck industry is PS2 games, nor
evey console games - and I would guess that assembly isn't in "every
one" of either, though probably close to.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca