Totally OT, but frustrated.....

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.de
Sat Mar 26 06:13:00 CST 2005

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 03:03:54PM -0800, Fred Cisin wrote:
> > "Nobody programs in assembly language anymore, nor ever will
> > again."  - Clancy and Harvey (UC Berkeley)
>
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Paul Koning wrote:
> > Wrong, and wrong.  Where did they get that bizarre notion?
>
> The biggest reason why I don't think that I should retire yet -
> I teach an assembly language class.
>

> They're LISP (actually "SCHEME") fanatics.
>
> They demo'd an example that "can not possibly be solved in ANY way
> but recursion".

If they claim any such bullshit then they obviously weren't paying
attention during class. Any recursive algorithm can be implemented
as an iterative solution. At worst by emulation of the recursion
stack, but usually much better. Recursive algorithms are often more
elegant and easier to implement. Unfortunately they tend to blow up the
stack if one throws sufficiently large datasets at them. At which point
one switches to a non-recursive implementation ;-)

Regards,
       Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison