Sun 4/330 with faulty serial interface...

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 01:44:47 CST 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:58:01 +0100, John Honniball
<coredump at gifford.co.uk> wrote:
> There's a Zilog serial chip, quite close to the serial connector.
> If it's just bit 6 that's faulty, it sounds like a fault in that
> chip (in the parallel section).  I think it's a Z8530.

Suns (as well as old Macintoshes, etc.) do use Z8530s for serial
ports.  Depending on the vintage of Sun, it's likely to be in a PLCC
package, though.  Dunno much about the Sun 3 line, so I can't say.  I
do have some experience with the Z8530... they were shipped in several
speed increments (we used to use the 4MHz version on our later
COMBOARDs), so make sure if you find/pull a replacement that the speed
matches.  I _think_ 8MHz was the fastest version made.

-ethan