Obscure DOS question

Vintage Computer Festival vcf at siconic.com
Mon Mar 28 17:48:14 CST 2005

MS-DOS 3.3 has a limit of 512 entries in the root directory.  I have a
need to put more than this.

Was there ever a way to put more than 512 files in the root directory?
Some sort of patch or utility?

Did previous or subsequent versions of MS-DOS allow more entries in the
root?

Another question:

When using the SUBST command in MS-DOS, you cannot aparently substitute
the C: drive.  I seem to recall that MS-DOS 6.0 allowed this, although I
might be confusing that with the ability of LANtastic to redirect the C:
drive to a network drive.

At any rate, what I'm trying to do is overcome the limit of 512 file
entries in an MS-DOS 3.3 root directory.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Thanks!