one more time... Facit software?

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Mon Mar 28 20:04:51 CST 2005

Jay wrote:
> Was just looking for something more high level, and perhaps something that
> would read the data into a file, and let you edit it with something akin
> to a hex editor, then punch back out, etc.

I use Emacs Hexl-mode for that.

I've thought about compiling GNOME Hex Editor (ghex), but never have
gotten around to it:
    http://library.n0i.net/linux-unix/applications/x/gnome/ghex/

I haven't tried DataWorkshop (written in Java), but it looks pretty nice:
    http://www.dataworkshop.de/

Maybe it would be reasonable to add paper-tape support to one of those.

A search for "hex editor" on freshmeat.net turns up quite a few other
programs as well, including at least four GPL'd text/curses-based
editors.

Eric