origins of "kludge"

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Wed Mar 30 06:51:30 CST 2005

On 30/03/2005, at 6:01 PM, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

> Doubtless from the Scots word "cludgie", meaning outside toilet.
> Since we don't have those any more, it refers to any rather squalid
> toilet - think about the bookmaker scene in Trainspotting.

You mean you actually understand the dialog in Trainspotting - my
housekeeper who originally comes from  Glasgow admits she can't
understand much of the dialog :-)

But yes, I'd agree, it's probably based on a Scottish word - wrong part
of the Celtic languages for me to understand....

Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"