Worst kludge Re: origins of "kludge"

Joe R. rigdonj at cfl.rr.com
Wed Mar 30 19:32:47 CST 2005

At 04:06 PM 3/30/05 -0600, you wrote:
 Since this is now only
>remotely on-topic; what would you consider to be your most "artless
>hack?"  I mean, what klu(d)ge are you most proud of, and yet at the
>same time a bit abashed (-fun- to say) to cop to?

  I think my worst kludge was on the VW dune buggy that I built while in
high school. I was running it in a cross country race one day and the
trottle cable broke. In those days I always carried a roll of stainless
steel safety wire (the modern equivelent of baling wire) so I broke out the
safety wire and ran it out the back of the car and tied it to the trottle
on the carburator. I held the roll in one hand and pulled on it to operate
the trottle and drove with the other hand. I forget how I managed the shift
lever!

   Joe