origins of "kludge"

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Thu Mar 31 01:38:22 CST 2005

On 31/03/2005, at 8:06 AM, David H. Barr wrote:

> Oh yeah, now I remember why.  Needed something to translate from 8-way
> joystick to keyboard presses for an emulator.  Since this is now only
> remotely on-topic; what would you consider to be your most "artless
> hack?"  I mean, what klu(d)ge are you most proud of, and yet at the
> same time a bit abashed (-fun- to say) to cop to?

A three phase double adapter.

Even more scary was that the voltages on each of the two sockets
differed by 10s of Volts even though they were wired directly together.
Still I managed to run two VAX-8800s with it (temporarily you
understand). In this case, temporarily might be longer than normal
practice might indicate was prudent :-)

Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"