OT: Lowest-power small server solutions

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Tue Nov 1 13:18:00 CST 2005

>Subject: Re: OT:  Lowest-power small server solutions
>   Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:09:01 +0000
>     To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
>Chuck Guzis wrote:
>> This may be appropriate for another list, but it seems to me that there's
>> plenty of applicable knowledge here.
>>
>> Right now, we're using an older Compaq Deskpro P3-600 box as our incoming
>> Linux server.  Basically, it connects with the DSL modem and contains IP
>> masquerading, DNS caching, firewall and fetchmail/procmail/qmail tasks
>> (SpamAssassin included).  It runs 24x7 with no problem, as it has for the
>> last 5 or 6 years.  Built like a tank.

I wonder if you even need a P200 for that.  I used to manage a
networks that had a 486dx/66 doing all but SpamaAssassin. For the rate it
had to handle on the DSL port (actually fractional T1 256kb/S) it never
seemed to be working hard. The PS in it was only 200W and nowhere was
it ever stressed.  It's claim to fame was running at room temp over a
weekend in the summer with both PS and CPU fan siezed without melting
or even getting upset.

Also an older 500mb-1gb drive will use less power than a newer fast
spinning drive. Or better yet netboot it and only keep a floppy. Pull
all the IO you don't need and run the video at 640x480x256 as a further
power reduction. Use a monitor (or KVM switch) as you don't need
a monitor save to check on it.

Allison