OT: Lowest-power small server solutions

spc at conman.org spc at conman.org
Tue Nov 1 13:20:54 CST 2005

> > I wonder if you even need a P200 for that.  I used to manage a
> > networks that had a 486dx/66 doing all but SpamaAssassin. For the rate it
> > had to handle on the DSL port (actually fractional T1 256kb/S) it never
> > seemed to be working hard. The PS in it was only 200W and nowhere was
> > it ever stressed.  It's claim to fame was running at room temp over a
> > weekend in the summer with both PS and CPU fan siezed without melting
> > or even getting upset.
>
> Indeed.  I have a Pentium 150 doing all the above (including
> SpamAssassin) plus Squid.

  Up until late 2003/early 2004 I was using a 486 with 32M RAM for serving
up a dozen websites and handing email (along with a few mailing lists).
Didn't want to use anything written in Perl on it, but other than that, it
ran fine.  And at home I'm using a 486 with only 20M RAM (and a 500MB
harddrive) for my firewall/NAT in addition to running named and squid (email
is passed on to a AMD 586 on the home network).

  -spc (That is, it was until power was lost last week due to some stormy
	weather we had ... )