OT: Lowest-power small server solutions

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Nov 1 15:33:31 CST 2005

At 8:56 AM -0800 11/1/05, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>I'm wondering if something a little less power-hungry might be preferable,
>however.  Are there any low-power alternatives for the job that anyone can
>recommend?

A VIA Mini-ITX system is the best choice, they might not have a lot
of CPU power, but it's hard to beat them on power consumption.  A
good second choice would probably be a Pentium M based system
(they're starting to become available in something other than
laptops).

At 12:45 PM -0500 11/1/05, Paul Koning wrote:
>How about an old laptop?   UPS built-in... :-)

I'd be concerned with reliability.  This is something that has to run 24x7.

Jules Richardson wrote:
>Would an offering from one of the various UNIX vendors be a
>possibility? Sun / SGI / HP or something? I'm thinking that getting
>away from any kind of Intel CPU would be a good place to start, plus
>of course you don't need any kind of framebuffer then either (unlike
>a PC) and can just use a serial console on the (very rare)
>occassions when you'd need to be physically at the machine.

Do any of them offer anything that is low power?  As for not needing
any kind of framebuffer, under OpenBSD I don't really need it with
the HP Pentium III system I'm using.  Though it was a bit worrisome
the other night when there was nothing on the console and it took
forever to come up (it was fsck'ing the disk as the power had gone
out).

Noise is the real reason I'm using the Pentium III, it's a *LOT*
quieter than the SparcServer 5/110 that I was using.  The Sparc was
louder than the two 3-drive JBOD boxes running 10k RPM SCSI drives
sitting above it (they're hooked to an OpenVMS server).

		Zane