OT: Lowest-power small server solutions

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Tue Nov 1 17:19:22 CST 2005

>Subject: Re: OT:  Lowest-power small server solutions
>   From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
>   Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:02:46 -0800
>     To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
>
>On 11/1/2005 at 9:52 PM Pete Turnbull wrote:
>
>>However, many of the Sun/SGI/HP type of machine might run more quietly
>>since they don't need big fans for CPU and PSU.  They also don't need a
>>framebuffer as Jules said, *and* no keyboard.  But they will tend to be
>>slow, and you'll have fun trying to doing all the IP masquerading
>>firewally stuff on anything but Linux or BSD, which is going to be more
>>trouble than it's worth on most of the above.
>
>Hmmm, the Compaq Deskpro was built at a time when Compaq seemed to care
>about quality.  The PSU fan isn't one of those 4" screamers, but a slower
>4.5" very quiet model.  The expansion card backplane is plugged into the
>motherboard and pulls out from the chassis for easy card servicing.  There
>are air intake holes at the bottom rear of the machine so that the airflow
>first passes over the motherboard and actually makes some sort of sense and
>keeps the floppy drive and CD pretty clean.  No annoying little cheap fan
>on the CPU heatsink either.
>
>Maybe I can't do MUCH better than that.
>
>Are 5.25" IDE drives any more reliable than the 3.5" models?  I've got a
>few old Quantum units--the largest is about 8 GB, but I'm using a 3.5"
>Maxtor in the box right now.
>
>Cheers,
>Chuck

I have a Dell 466 pizza box thans near dead silent (no cpu fan and PS fan is slow speed).
Only problem is it's 486DX/66.

The other cead silent one is a Modular Systems box (486/50) with a 700mb 2.5"
drive inside.  What 1.2A at 12V gets you is 10Bt, SVGA, Parallel, Serial all
in a box 5"x3"x11". Add one monitor, PS2 mouse, PS2 Keyboard and go.  Even
knows how to netboot.

Also a AT&T Globalist 620 pizza box.  Only p100 but quiet.

Allison