OT: Lowest-power small server solutions

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 2 16:51:36 CST 2005

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 08:42:40 -0800
"Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:

> On 11/1/2005 at 8:38 PM Scott Stevens wrote:
>
> >Any suggestions of a better battery (cheaper, mostly) to 'strap on' to Sun
> >NVRAMs?  I am going to use AAA lithiums on this machine, which should last
> >forever, but they're a bit pricey.
>
> Why not just some plain old AA alkalines?  You should get a couple of years
> (i.e. shelf life)out of each set.
>
> --Chuck

The lithium batteries I installed were marked 'Best if used by the year 2020' on the packaging.  And they will probably last nearly that long, as they are much larger the the original battery potted in the NVRAM module, and the CMOS backup/clock application draws VERY little current.  Also, Alkaline batteries run the risk of leaking nasty substances on my beautiful Sun hardware.  I don't think Lithium batteries have that problem.

--
http://sasteven.multics.org/MacSE30/MacSE30.html