FPGA VAX update

woodelf bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Sat Nov 5 00:27:15 CST 2005

Chuck Guzis wrote:

>On 11/5/2005 at 1:09 AM ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk wrote:
>

>>Waht somebody needs to do (and it can't be me for obvious reasons) is to
>>select some CPLDs/FPGAs where the download protocol is documented (that
>>is, you can progam the chip, given the binary file, without a proprietary
>>programmer), and use the tools (that's why it can't be me) to make some
>>useful logic functions -- things like an <n> bit universal shift
>>register, <n> bit ALU, counters, even JK flip-flops, gates, etc. Make the
>>binary files available for free download.
>>

>Hey, nobody did it with PALs, why would they do it with something more
>complex?

Yes I think you can still do that with the orginal  PAL's that they
don't make.  If  I remember
right the early pals were programmed as 512x8 fuse roms. The fuse map
was a one-to-one  mapping
as you have with the logic diagram.  The  Cypress semiconductor data
book has  programing information
on their PAL's  but the data book is from the 90's.