OT? Need IBM XT keyboard & IBM Mono/CGA/EGA 5151 monitor mine is

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 5 18:42:29 CST 2005

> I enjoy retrocomputing on my old IBM 5150 but sadly my trusty 5151 is

Do you feel like having ago at repairing the 5151 monitor? I have
schematics, and it's a very simple circuit. In fact the most difficult
part is getting inside the thing.

(Prise off the little caps at the front corners of the top grille. Put the
monitor face down. Free the cables fron the 'hook' on the bacb section of
the case. Undo the 2 screws under those caps, the 2 screws on the bottom
that go in from the back. Peel off the sticky paper on the bottom, undo
the 4 screws on the back half of the case _NOT_ the 2 on the front part.
These 6 screws hold a bracket inside that holds the mains transfromer, if
you remove all 6 screws it fals onto the CRT!. Lift off the case).

> dead as is my 5152.

This is a thinly disguised Epson printer, of course. Again I have
schematics if you want to attempt a repair.

> Also my IBM XT keyboard is pretty much dead as well.  I am willing to

In my experience logic faults are rare in these keyboards. If it's
totally dead, I'd suspect the cable. At least one of my IBM keyboards has
been fitted with a new DIN plug.

If odd keys don't work, you might find dismantling the thing and cleaning
the PCB helps. I can talk you through this.