FPGA VAX update, now DIY TTL computers

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Sat Nov 5 22:01:19 CST 2005

On 05/11/2005, at 5:09 AM, Allison wrote:

>> But does any software even consider being able to be rolled back
>> from a
>> check point nowdays?
>> With a well designed  virtual memory system ( no gui stuff  I
>> guess ) a
>> process that takes several
>> days? or more to process needs to interuptable and saveable.
>
> I think VMS and a few of the real OSs do but PCs nah.

As good as VMS is (and it is) it doesn't support process
checkpointing "out of the box" but depending on the application it's
not too hard to code. Of course this is true for other operating
systems too.

Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"