HP7879B tape again

Philipp Hachtmann hachti at hachti.de
Sun Nov 6 19:29:07 CST 2005

Hi,

> I asusme there's nothing of use on http://www.hpmuseum.net/ ?
Don't think so.... :-(

>>But I still and urgently need the schematics for the 7978 drive. My
> I sould be suprised if any published manual contained full schematics.
For the 7970 tape drive there ARE the full schematics on bitsavers... So
I think it should be possible to get the complete 7978B docs, too.

> By that period, HP comptuers were 'repaired' by board-swapping. If you're
> lucky there will be _some_ useful info in the boardswapper guide, like
> pinouts or testpoints.
You are too pessimistic :-) I hope to find good documentation of
everything I need.

> I hate to say this, but you may be reduced to producing your own
> schematics. It can't be that difficult, I've managed to do it a few times.
But there is one small problem: I don't have the time to do that for an
old switching power supply. And by the way I'm not very good in
repairing switching power supplies. These devices scare me a bit.....

+ph