Old disks. was RE: Reliable 3.5" DSHD diskettes

Joe R. rigdonj at cfl.rr.com
Tue Nov 8 09:59:48 CST 2005

At 12:24 PM 11/6/05 -0600, you wrote:
>Sort of makes me wonder if the suppliers of newly-produced 8" diskettes are
>as bad - but for ~$10 per disk, they'd better be!

  FWIW I just sold a big box of 8" floppy disks for the DEC MINC computer.
They were all dated in the late '70s and up to about 1980. I was concerned
weather or not they were still readable but I got this from the buyer
yesterday. If I can still read 8" disks after 25 years why the %(*&&^*&^%
can't they make 3.5" disks that are still readable after 2 weeks?!

"So far, I haven't found a single disk that isn't readable.
Interestingly enough, though, when I first booted a copy of the MINC
demo and tried to run programs, I kept getting "TRAP TO 10", an illegal
instruction trap.  Hm.  As was often done, my MINC was "upgraded" with
an 11/23 CPU (M8186).  Reviewing the documentation, I saw several places
where instructions had changed between the 11/03 (M7270) and 11/23.  I
rooted about my shop and, lo! I had an 11/03 CPU.  I replaced the board,
and everything worked fine.

Well, almost everything.  I tried running a couple of the graphics
programs, and no joy.  Digging further, I discovered that the MINC BASIC
graphics routines are expecting a VT105 terminal (I'm using a VT420).
Hm.  There's a VT125 on eBay....  :-)  (I might just rewrite something
like Kermit to grok the VT105 escape codes, too.)

Thanks so much for putting these up on eBay!  I'd been trying to find
them for a long time without so much as a glimmer of recognition.
Cheers -- Ian "

    Joe