Ultrix for DECstations

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Thu Nov 10 12:17:36 CST 2005

>>>>> "Patrick" == Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org> writes:

 Patrick> No, those were "DEC 3000"s.  DECstations (3000/5000/etc)
 Patrick> were all MIPS.

 Patrick> And, from what I've heard, at least one reason that DEC made
 Patrick> Alpha, and didn't port VMS to the MIPS architecture, is
 Patrick> because they'd have to make a lot of changes to VMS, because
 Patrick> of its security model, in order to make it work with MIPS.
 Patrick> Aparently, MIPS just didn't work enough like a VAX CPU to
 Patrick> easily port VMS to it.

Maybe.  But I wonder what could be missing that Alpha has and MIPS
doesn't that is so critical.

Supposedly, the only reason MIPS has supervisor mode is that DEC
insisted on having it added.

	 paul