FPGA VAX update, now DIY TTL computers

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Nov 12 22:10:12 CST 2005

On 11/12/2005 at 10:53 PM William Donzelli wrote:

>> Ah, that IS sad. :(  I have a soft spot in my heart for the 60-bit
>> architecture.
>
>Cyber 180 'taint 60 bit - it was the kludge that gave CDC 64 bits. The
>180s had a super-kludge to emulate the 60 bit machines, including a
>schizo OS.

I remember sitting at the design briefing in 1976 and saying "Forget the 64
bits, the customers will still run it in 6000 emulation mode."  And I
believe that was largely true.  It may be a 180 to you, but it's a
6000-series machine to me.

CDC already had a 64 bit machine when that thing came out.  They didn't
need another one.

Cheers,
Chuck