Wangtek DC-300 drive and controller

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 12:51:01 CST 2005

> >I've got a Wangtek DC-300 tape drive (model 54590) and a controller with a
> >5.25" footprint.  The controller has a 50-conductor edge connector keyed
> >the same way as the drive connector, so I'm assuming that the drive is
> >connected there.  The controller also has a 50 pin male header.  I believe
> >the controller is also a Wangtek model WT05ZK.  It's got an 8085A-2 on it,
> >as well as the usual support chips (8257 DMAC  AM9128 PIC).  Chip dates are
> >1984.
> >
> >What's the interface to the controller?  SASI?  Anyone know what the
> >command set might be?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Chuck
>
> It might be QIC, QIC02 or QIC24 and definately not SASI or SCSI though
> they existed at the time.

I was under the impression that QIC24 (like QIC11) was a tape format, and
not an interface standard.

The interface between the drive and the controller is probably QIC36. The
host interface on the controller is probably QIC02

I would not be suprised if the edge connector on the controller was the
host interface and the header for the drive. I am pretty sure one of my
controllers is like that.