removing parts from PCBs ?JUNK MAIL? 4

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Nov 14 14:35:40 CST 2005

On 11/14/2005 at 12:05 PM Dwight K. Elvey wrote:

>Hi
> I don't recommend using an open flame with the oil.
>I used an electric fry pan. I don't think peanut
>oil has as low a flash point as many other oils.

I believe that peanut oil has a flash point around 600F; 60/40 solder flows
at about 370F, so there's a pretty good safety margin, but the oil will
start smoking at temperatures around 450F.

Silicone oil might be a better choice (it's used a lot in commercial heat
baths), but it's not inexpensive.

If you're using an electric fry pan and can control temperature, I wonder
if plain old white sand might be another alternative.  It's cheap,
non-corrosive and non-flammable--and won't spatter.  Thermal transfer isn't
as good as oil, but maybe it's sufficient.

Cheers,
Chuck