Cheapest PCI prototyping?

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Fri Nov 18 09:02:51 CST 2005

 Brad> "Chuck Guzis" wrote:
 >> On 11/17/2005 at 5:25 PM e.stiebler wrote:
 >>
 >>> Then get the old memec/insight PCI eval board (spartan
 >>> xc2s200?). Should do the job just fine.
 >> ...and there's the rub.  I might be better off simply putting
 >> together a dedicated non-PC controller and just spool the data
 >> over USB.  9 track tapes don't hold that much after all--and I'll
 >> be streaming pretty much from BOT to EOT on both read and write.

 Brad> I'm confused (sorry).  Are you trying to build a PCI board with
 Brad> a Pertec interface?

 Brad> I would think it would be easier to find a small qbus-11, put
 Brad> an 11/73 cpu in it with a built in ethernet and run 2.11bsd.
 Brad> You can image the tapes and rcp the images to a linux box.
 Brad> pertec interface qbus boards are not hard to find.

Or some other OS, and copy the data with DECnet.  Linux supports
DECnet, after all...

	paul