Shipping between US and Canada

vrs vrs at msn.com
Sat Nov 19 12:52:38 CST 2005

From: "Dan Cohoe" <dancohoe at oxford.net>
> I've not experienced the loss of packages that others are referring to by
> Canada Post and generally try to have epay sellers send stuff by USPS,
> though most will not, apparently because of the lack of tracking through
> USPS.

The way it was explained to me (bear in mind that this is at least
third-hand information that I have no easy way to confirm), is that
Canada's system for re-delivering mail that fails on the first attempt
(which is a lot of mail here in the USA, too), is different.  That
somehow the path there is relatively short between "this came back
to the post office" and "let's sell this on our eBay site".  My wife
buys and sells dolls from and to Canada, and apparently her colleagues
go to check Canada Post's ebay auctions when their dolls don't get
delivered.  And have actually found them there.  (They are reportedly
really good about pulling the auction if the rightful claimant comes
forward.)

There's also a tactic where the shipper includes hir name, address, and
phone number in the package, so that when they open it, they have another
chance of being contacted to fix the problem.

FWIW,

    Vince