CP/M 2 - what's its legal status?

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Mon Nov 21 17:10:33 CST 2005

>Subject: CP/M 2 - what's its legal status?
>   From: JP Hindin <jplist at kiwigeek.com>
>   Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:24:04 -0600 (CST)
>     To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
>

>Hey there folks;
>
>Decided to move into the CP/M world a little with my Vector Graphic
>machine, which is expecting CP/M 2.0.
>
>I was curious what the legal status was these days? Since I find source
>code for CP/M, MP/M and so on online, I'm guessing the status is fairly
>free, but I wanted to check.
>I can also find CP/M 2.0 online - but I don't believe I have any way of
>producing a bootable 5.25" floppy disk of it.

The copyright is still valid but the owners have released it for
non-profit use.

>If the OS is in a free-as-in-speech state, would it be possible for
>someone to whip me up a 5.25" disk and ship it out to me (shipping paid
>for, of course) for the Vector?

If you look around there may be a copy for that machine and a way to
get it to you.

>The Vector suggests 2.0, but it appears that 2.2 is the superior release
>of the 2 series, I'm hoping that this will work on the machine.

Nominally 2.0 doesn't really show on radar.  Almost all releases of V2
are really 2.2 and 2.2 is interchangeable upgrade (fewer bugs).

The real issue is getting a boot able disk and Vector did make a few
machines so copies are possible.

Allison