"Market" for old macs?

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 30 17:19:05 CST 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:59:42 -0500
"James Fogg" <James at jdfogg.com> wrote:

> > James Fogg wrote:
> > > My interests stop at the "classic" Macs, of which the SE30 is the
> > > height of engineering achievement (in my opinion).
> >
> > Why?  I know a bit of the classic Mac engineering history
> > thanks to Andy's retro website/book, but I know nothing of the SE30.
>
> OK, neither do I (it's too late to argue). It is the last of the classic
> Macs and has the greatest number of features and capabilities.

Actually it isn't the last of the Classic Macs in a certain sense.  Apple produced several other inferior compact Mac machines that aren't nearly as expandable as the SE/30.  The Macintosh Classic is an example of this, if I'm not mistaken.  The Classic can't sport anywhere near as much RAM as the SE/30.

My favorite Mac personally is my PowerBook 165C, but that's just because it's so nice and small and eminently useful for those occasions when I need a small footprint 68K Mac for some purpose.  And I have a box of SCSI-based ethernet interfaces that work with it.

I'm very fond of my first SE/30, too, which is one I 'maxed out' with a lot of RAM and a big SCSI drive, but it runs NetBSD.