480z system disk on ebayu

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 18:05:17 CDT 2005

> > What RGB board? The Hi-Res board has a 8 bit output, that's encoded to
> > RGB by 3 resistor DACs on the little board behind the BNC sockets. Isn't
> > that the board we're talking about.
>
> Ahh, if that's just RGB between the Hi-res board and the BNC board, then

Not really RGB...

There's a colour lookup table (a couple of TTL RAMs) on the hi-res board.
It outputs an 8 bit value depending on its contents and the contents of
the video memory for the current pixel.

The output of that lookup table goes to 2 places. The first is an 8 bit
DAC on the hi-res board. That's used for the monochrome greyscale output.

The other is to the 26 pin connector. To that you can connect the RGB
output board or a PAL encoder (which I have never seen). The RGB output
board, which is mounted on the bracket for the BNC connectors, is 3
simple DACs (3 bits each for R and G, 2 bits for B) and a circuit to
produce sync-on-green if you need it.

> it likely is just a fault on the BNC board. I'd just wondered if there
> was some sort of signal passing back to the hi-res board from the BNC

No.

> board such that the actual fault was somewhere in the hi-res board
> itself but that it'd work fine without the BNC adapter board plugged in.

If the hi-res board works without the RGB board, then the problem is on
the latter.