8" floppy system needed to recover old game data

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Thu Oct 6 07:16:49 CDT 2005

>Subject: RE: 8" floppy system needed to recover old game data
>   From: "Kieron Wilkinson" <Kieron.Wilkinson at paretopartners.com>
>   Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:57:36 +0100
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>

No. the 765 was available for sale in late 1980, CP/M systems were
3+ years old by then.  Even after that point the 765 was not the
common part used for CP/M systems.  That a PCism.

CP/M systems were largely a common coperating system a that allowed
for diverse hardware by way of a BIOS that the user or manufacturer
could configure for that hardware.  There were many different disk
systems, formats and in the games space deliberate attempts to make
the disks uncopyable by standard systems.

>While this is true, the problem we have is that although we have
>convinced the ex-developer to let us help them preserve this data, it
>will be very much harder to get them to go out of their way to get it
>done. This is the reason I was trying to get somebody local to them to
>help us do it, even though they do treasure it.

What you need is a CP/M familiar person here (actually close to the developer)
in the usa and the data once extracted can be shipped via the internet.
Systems that convert formats are common enough for people that actively
collect and restore.

>> The only "local" one I can think of from the top of my head,
>> is Sellam Ismail

IF its in San Fancisco hes' loads closer than me (3000 miles!).

Allison