8" floppy system needed to recover old game data

Dave Mabry dmabry at mich.com
Thu Oct 6 07:39:05 CDT 2005

Kieron Wilkinson wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am hoping to help an ex-games developer access some very old game data
>and source code stored on 8" floppy disks from a CPM system, data that
>simply does not exist anywhere else and will otherwise be lost. (It is
>the kind of stuff destined for MAME :)). I personally can possibly get
>access to such a system, however we do not want to risk transporting the
>media any more than necessary, and I am far FAR removed from where the
>disks are located in San Francisco (I live in the UK).
>
>Does anybody near here (or willing to travel there!) have such a system
>and could help us out? As I said this is a one-of-a-kind opportunity
>which should unearth games that were previously thought not to exist
>(though most were not completed AFAIK). There is always the chance that
>they are already lost (corrupted media), but we just won't know until we
>try.
>
>I would be over the moon if somebody could help us out with this! If you
>can help, or know somebody else who can help, please contact me!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kieron Wilkinson

There has been lots of discussion lately about 8" formats.  Perhaps we
might be lucky here.  There is a chance that the 8" diskettes in
question here were written in the one standard 8" format.  Single-sided,
single-density.  If that is the case then there are lots of cp/m systems
that can read those diskettes.  Even my Intel development systems can
read that format!  And I would be happy to transfer the files to today's
format, whatever form that might be.  However I am not on the left coast
and the diskettes would have to travel through the postal system or UPS,
etc., to get to me and back.

Do you have a way to determine if the diskettes are SS, SD ???

Dave