8" floppy system needed to recover old game data

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Thu Oct 6 08:35:42 CDT 2005

>Subject: RE: 8" floppy system needed to recover old game data
>   From: "Joe R." <rigdonj at cfl.rr.com>
>   Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:06:17 +0000
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
>>I'm afraid I am not very familiar with CPM systems. Could you please
>>tell me why a conversion system is needed?
>
>   It all depends on what system they were written on. There are hundreds
>if not thousands of different CPM formats. Some of them are litterally one
>of a kind and were only used on one type computer and can not be read on

Hundreds but not thousands.  It was not as bad as it seems as many
systems could handle thir native formats plus a few.

>anything else. A good example is the M2FM format that Intel used on their
>MDS machines.

That was a really breaker. As that could only read it's own.

>Some also used hard sectored disks and there's no way that a
>modern disk controller can deal with that.  OTOH if you're lucky, they used

In the 8" world there were fewer formats and most of the systems that
were hard sector (altair and some text management systems) didn't run CP/M.

Beside in the 8" world CP/M itself had established that 8" SSSD was the
interchange format.

For 8" stuff the prognosis is not so bad.  However the media is so old that
may be more of a problem with oxide shedding.

Allison