OT for a sec: US wiring sources of info

Alistair MacDonald a.macdonald+classiccmp at slitesys.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 7 11:50:53 CDT 2005

Chuck Guzis wrote:

> If I remember what my friend from Aylesbury told me aobut UK wiring, it
> isn't uncommon for a 50 amp 220 volt pair to be run to all outlets;

Your friend would appear to live in a different UK to me. It is however
common practice for the outlets to be in a ring with a 30A fuse in the
fusebox.

> the fuse being in the plug of the appliance. He also mentioned that,
> although in theory, each appliance is to be fused according to its
> current use, the common practice is to install a 13 amp fuse in
> everything as a replacement.

Most people don't understand the difference and it is more annoying to
get the correct fuse. It isn't helped by the manufacturers supplying
items with the wrong fuse. Those of us who perform Portable Appliance
Tests on things get very annoyed at having to replace the fuses on the
first test. Anyone want any 13A fuses? 8-)

Alistair

believed to be clean.