HP 1000/2000 cache on ePay

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Oct 8 16:44:19 CDT 2005

On 10/8/2005 at 5:27 PM William Donzelli wrote:

> Sending the scrap off to China is very easy, and frankly,
>environmental restrictions on shipping things kind of go away when the
>scrap is set to leave the country. Plus, the Chinese do pay well.

It's funny that a lot of so-called "green" electronics recycling centers get very quiet when you ask them where they send their PCB's for processing.  It's not uncommon for rural communites in China to extract components from PCB's by an unprotected low-wage worker heating the boards in the open over a charcoal fire.  After the components have been separated, the bare boards are simply taken to the town dump.

Reminds me of Taiwan not so very long ago.  Used wire was sent there for copper relcamation.  The method of removing the insulation (usually PVC) was burning in the open air.

As countries ascend the economic ladder, they are reluctant to process another's toxic waste.  I suspect we'll eventually end up shipping electronic trash to Africa for processing.

Cheers,
Chuck